The Iowa Choral Directors Association will sponsor the twenty-fifth annual Opus Honor Choir on Thursday, November 18th, 2010 at Iowa State University in Ames. Four choirs of 180 voices will be featured at this year’s event. ICDA, Inc. will be offering a Fifth-Sixth Grade Select Honor Choir, a Seventh-Eighth Grade Select Boys Honor Choir, a Seventh-Eighth Grade Select Girls Honor Choir, and a Ninth Grade Select Mixed Honor Choir. Scroll down on the page for Notes and more information.
All audition forms and recordings must be sent to the respective chairpersons. All materials must have a postmark of Tuesday, September 21, 2010 or before. Audition recordings received with a postmark later than this will be disqualified.
Please note: Error: Julie Schnieder’s address is printed incorrectly in the brochure and should read 301 North 13th Street rather than 310. The address is correct on the audition form and in the brochure on this site.
- To further the development of 5th–9th grade choral programs through the learning, auditioning and performing of quality choral literature.
- To achieve the excellence and pride that develop from singing in an Honors Choir that would ultimately be taken back to the home choir.
- To offer attending directors the opportunity to observe master conductors in the rehearsal process.
Any current ICDA, Inc. member may submit fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth grade singers that are active in their public and private school music programs or church choirs in the state of Iowa. The audition is by cassette tape or CD. Each singer’s audition must be prepared by a sponsoring director, and this director must be an active or retired member of American Choral Directors Association. Singers may not be submitted by student teachers. The director’s expiration date of ACDA membership must be included on each audition form. Each member director may nominate up to a total of twelve quality singers per Opus choir. Please make sure to only send in recordings of students who are well prepared!!
In order to be eligible, all singers that audition for Opus:
-must be part of an established Choral Program (not private voice studio, temporary Church or Community Choirs, etc.)
-must have the submitting ICDA, Inc. member as a regular director of the ensemble (not a temporary director, guest clinician, etc.)
Any singer that is submitted by more than one director will result in disqualification of all students from submitting directors.
The 2010 Opus Committee is pleased to announce this year's conductors:
- Marlene DePriest, Mt. Pleasant Schools, will be the Fifth-Sixth Grade Select Honor Choir guest conductor
- Tom Gerking, Westwood Schools, Sloan, will direct the Seventh-Eighth Grade Select Boys Honor Choir
- Heidi Thiess, Harlan Community High School, will be the guest conductor of the Seventh-Eighth Grade Select Girls Honor Choir
- Duane Philgreen, West Delaware High School, Manchester, will conduct the Ninth Grade Select Mixed Honor Choir
(All downloads are in the Adobe PDF format)
- 2010 OPUS RESULTS to be announced
- Opus Schedule
- Press Releaseand IMEA Conference Info (pdf)
Press Release and IMEA Conference Info (word document)
- 5/6 Grade Choir Rehearsal Notes
- 7/8 Boys’ Choir Rehearsal Notes
- 7/8 Girls’ Choir Rehearsal Notes
- 9th Grade Choir Rehearsal Notes
- Opus Brochure and Pronunciation Guide Contains all of the audition information, choir selection listings, and complete rules and instructions
- Audition Forms
Music is available for purchase from J.W.PEPPER (1-800-345-6296), jwpepper.com Prices printed in the OPUS Brochure are subject to publisher revision without notice. We cannot assure music availability from any music supplier other than J.W.PEPPER. ORDERING MUSIC FROM J.W. PEPPER WILL GUARANTEE THAT EVERY STUDENT OBTAINS THE CORRECT ARRANGEMENTS. Music will be available for purchase from J.W. Pepper at the ICDA Summer Symposium in Mason City.
- The History of Opus Literature, from the beginning (1986) to the present
- 2009 OPUS RESULTS
- OPUS 2009
- OPUS 2008
- OPUS 2007