The Cox Scholarships
The Iowa Choral Directors Association is a non-profit organization dedicated
to providing education and opportunities in choral music for its members
and the singers they serve. It is an enduring goal, therefore, to be a leader among state ACDA organizations in providing opportunities
for growth and development for all those dedicated to choral music.
Established in 1987, ICDA’s effort to assist its members in their pursuit of graduate work was renamed in 1996 in memory of ICDA member and Drake faculty member, James Cox. Each year the deadline for applications is May 1. Interested persons should submit a letter stating their educational plans and why they believe they are deserving of this assistance to:
Joleen Nelson Woods, ICDA Executive Secretary/Treasurer
209 Oak Ridge Drive
Mount Vernon, IA 52314
Below are the guidelines for the two programs:
Graduate Scholarship Program
- Applicant must be an Active or Life member of ACDA/ICDA.
- Study must be toward a graduate degree.
- Applicant must be a full-time graduate student or complete a minimum four week summer term.
- Applicant must include tuition costs, validated by the institution.
- Monies are mailed directly to the Registrar’s Office of said institution.
- Scholarships range up to $750, not to exceed the cost of tuition.
Research Grant Program
- Applicant must be an Active or Life member of ACDA/ICDA
- Applicant must pursue a project involving an in-depth study of a particular aspect of the choral art.
- A monograph of the candidate’s study is required within one calendar year of receiving the grant.
- Applicant must provide a breakdown of projected costs.
- Research grant will not exceed $500.
- Application must include a personal statement of the candidate’s worthiness for this award.